The Holy Spirit can only build a strong body, if every member gets involved. A body with some limbs not functioning is a cripple. The main challenge in starting a church is to create an environment where every person can participate. Here are some hints.
- Every person should be free to say, “This is what I think the Holy Spirit is saying,” even if it sounds dumb.
- The Holy Spirit prefers to break up what he has to say and give bits to different people. If only one person speaks, we will miss most of what the Spirit has to say. If the dumb donkey has seen an angel and heard from God, the entire body needs to hear from it.
- The best way to encourage honesty is for leaders to be honest about the dumb things that they have done.
- The Holy Spirit cannot be seen, so spirit-lead leadership should be invisible (dumb). People who are used to leading or teaching should learn to act dumb (be quiet) and let the Holy Spirit speak through other people.
- One question that gets people thinking and talking is more valuable than ten minutes of “teaching”.
- Every meeting will get stuck in a rut at times. A spirit-led leader should be able to move it on without saying much and no one noticing.